Steamed and Roasted Whole
2 hours 30 minutes 30 mins prep
1 whole duck (4 to 5 pound)
1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
5 slices fresh ginger, big
4 cloves garlic
1/2 bunch green onions
1 tangerine, peel cut in big strips
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1. To reduce the fat and produce a crispy skin, begin by
trimming the excess fat from the neck and body.
2. Rinse the duck, inside and out, and pat dry thoroughly
with paper towels.
3. Combine the Chinese five-spice, sugar, and salt in a
4. Rub the spice mixture all over the duck, inside and out.
5. Salt and five-spice powder makes a fragrant dry marinade,
which draws some of the moisture from the duck so that the
6. Stuff the duck cavity with the aromatics: the ginger,
garlic, green onions, and tangerine peel.
7. Fold the wing tips back under the duck and tie the legs
together with kitchen string.
8. Poke the duck breast a few times, piercing the skin.
9. Place a roasting pan on the stovetop over 2 burners and
fill with 2-inches of water, turn the heat to medium.
10. Set a V-rack insert inside the pan and lay the duck
on the rack, breast-side up.
11. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
12. Steam the duck for 45 minutes, checking the water level
13. Steaming the duck first melts away some of the fat and
shrinks the skin.
14. In a small saucepan combine the vinegar, honey, and
soy sauce over low heat.
15. Bring to a boil and simmer and stir for 15 minutes until
16. The duck will be lacquered with the sweet glaze, which
caramelizes during roasting, making the skin crisp and brown.
17. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
18. Take the foil off the duck, remove the rack with the
duck, and pour out the water and all the fat that has rendered
19. Put the rack with the duck back inside the roasting
20. Baste the duck with the vinegar mixture, until all the
skin is completely coated in the glaze.
21. Stick the whole thing in the oven.
22. Roast the duck for 1 hour, basting periodically with
any remaining glaze to set in a deep mahogany color.
23. Tent the breast with some foil if it gets too dark.
24. The legs will wiggle easily when it's done.
25. Carve and serve.
you would like to make any comments or contribute to The
Scribe please contact